Monday 12 April 2010

Magic Masters

I've never watched golf on TV before after this year's Masters I'll never miss a major golf event. Not only was I gripped but I learnt so much. First off hats off to Mickelson who won the tournament from bold shot selection his run from 13-15 on day three was stunning but his second from the woods on 13 on day four was nothing short of sheer brilliance. Though he missed the eagle putt I believed that with that shot from the trees he had just won the Masters. He could swing freely knowing he had his scoring pants on.

I felt for Westwood but over the championship he was solid but unspectacular. He took less risks but Mickelson had that bit of luck and magic that rewarded his bravery. However, I learnt
most from watching Tiger. He just didn't have his A Game but carded -11. For someone who has been out of action for five months and striking the ball as 'poorly' as he was to finish tied 4th was an unbelievable achievement. He didn't see it that way but it reinforced to me the importance of being able to score.

I didn't realise that pros missed fairways and greens in regulation as often as they did but in addition to that their club and shot selection to escape trouble was fascinating. Taking putters when I expected them to take wedges, laying up when I expected them to go for it, a lot of food for thought.

So well played big Phil, commiserations to Lee Westwood and congratulations to Matteo Massanero (I still can't believe he's only 16). I've never been itching to play so much...

No comments:

Post a Comment