Thursday 15 April 2010

In Your 15th Club, Bob Rotella recommends keeping a journal using it to document good shots you have hit. The idea is that it disciplines the mind to remember good shots and reinforce memories of those shots. By consistently taking this approach a golfer will develop a positive outlook on their game, something which is a key ingredient while they are working on elements of it.

I was somewhat sceptical of the positive benefits until I reviewed my old score cards. Remember that blitz of good holes I had when I shot +8 for nine holes? Well on that day I was taking notes for my blog. After the disastrous 15 I hit on the 2nd hole the last thing I wrote was "great back to back six irons". Having been sitting on 9 shots just 100 yards down the fairway of that 500 yard par 5 I hit two great sixes to put me about 50 yards from the green. I teed up on the par 3 third having just reminded myself of those two great shots, pulled the six iron from the bag and hit the green just missing my first ever birdie.

I continued in that vein, recording all my good shots until the 12th hole when I stopped. Between holes 3 - 11 I recorded four pars, three bogeys, one double and one triple. I'm sure there is no coincidence that I played better on those holes partly because I believed in and trusted my swing.

Saturday is a big day as it will be the first time I play my brother and it's also the first day that my new journal will be in use. I hope that the competitive nature if the game will boost my concentration, my new pre shot routine will get me ready for each shot and the mental approach will reinforce positive thoughts.

I don't care what I score, I just have to win!

Comments:
Thought I’d just check in mate and see how you were getting on. Good to see your still at it and heading the right way.

Good luck for saturday mate, hope you beat your brother and record a nice win. Sure you’ll be taking me on in no time! Keep it going Tiger, and I hope your enjoying it all too

Tiger
Hey Swinger, Thanks for the message. I’m definitely getting better though it’s not showing on the scorecard yet. I’m hitting significantly less duffs than I was and actually the score consistency probably owes more to me progressing from the six iron to using the 4&5 more often. I’ve not quite tamed the 4 yet

The short game is also coming on and the problem now is hitting it too hard and clearing greens because I’m catching it so clean. I feel confident that a major break through is just around the corner. Fingers crossed it will happen on Saturday (we take sibling rivalry to a whole new level)! Hope all’s going well for you on the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment