Saturday 17 April 2010

Sibling rivalry

Well first things first I had a mare. Primarily, on the longer holes where I was just trying too hard. My bro was hitting a driver and I tried to keep up with him rather than playing my own game. I hit 51 on stroke index 1-5 that's +30 and scored 41 on the four Par 5's.

My bro didn't fair too much better. Though he hit better shots from the tee I generally outperformed him into and around the green. We both carded 124 my worst ever score. However, he won on matchplay 1 up and stableford.

What frustrated me were the four birdie opportunities I missed including a three putt on the 11th argh!!! However, there were a number of positives. Though it is still a work in progress my chipping is getting there and I'm starting to get the hang of it. I hit some very good approach shots today just need to do it more consistently. But best of all was my performance on four of the par 3's. I scored 15 on those four holes including my shot of the round to hit GIR on the 185 18th. The hole has trees to the left of the hole and water to the right. The green curves round to the right and hugs the water so to reac the green you have to hit a slight fade and hit the gap and roll up to the back of the green as the pins normally tucked to the right. I normally drop shot or mishit but today I hit a 5 iron pin high and though I missed the putt I stroked home the second for par number two of the day.

So I know that when the pressure's on the long game can't cope, but the short game is more than capable of firing. I scored +9 on 9 of the holes I played today, and no surprises they were the shorter ones.

Much to learn and work on, the scores are getting higher, but I'm sure I'm getting better. More practice required and a 3 Wood desired.

Comments:

Homer
A number of obvious issues. Probably trying way too hard not just on the longer shots and reacting to your brothers shots and performance rather than your own (a Rotella favourite subject)

The need to get a wood of some description and learning to use it is becoming more and more paramount

I wouldn’t worry too much. This is only the 3rd???? game on a full 18 holes so there is still much to be learnt. Focus on your own game though as its the only thing you can control.

It sounds like it was a close run thing though so you’ve probably got him worried for the rematch. Keep working hard and it’ll soon happen

Tiger
Yes, yes, yes and yes. It was a useful learning curve playing in a game I wanted to perform well in. I did notice that my game improved during a period when I felt I’d thrown the game and focussed on what I was doing but found it far too easy to get distracted when I played myself back into contention. Was my 5th round so still a lot to learn. In terms of clubs I’m going wood shopping next week .

Homer
Enjoy the hunt for the right weapon. If you check out my blog I’ve put the clubs away for a week after finally reaching rock bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment