Monday 19 April 2010

Hard graft required

So I've been analysing my rounds to date to try and figure out where it's going wrong and what the positives are. Let's start with the plus points:

Putting
I rarely three putt but don't leave myself many easy one putts. More experience and practice will help, as will improved approach shots and chips.

Par 3's
With the exception of the first, which at 203 yards is a tad far for me to hit a 4 iron, I score well on our par 3's. I hit +3 on the four holes last time out.

Short par 4's
The sensible shot off the tee on these holes is an iron and because accuracy is more important than distance I tend to relax more and hit better tee shots. I hit +6 on those five holes last time out.

So where is it going wrong

The tough holes
Unsurprisingly, I find stroke index 1-5 really challenging. The fairways are tight and unforgiving on the par 4's, the 5's are long and tricky and the par 3 requires an accurate long iron and the green is extremely well protected. My mental approach to these holes needs to change to believe I can score on them by playing my game.

Distance
Well documented on here but partly psychological. Went to the range tonight to hit 3, 4 and 5. I'm capable of hitting all three clubs accurately but I tense up too often and try to force it. Don't get me wrong the technique still needs work but when I relax I know I can nail the 4 & 5. Last time out on the course I had zero pressure heading onto the 18th and hit a lovely 5 iron onto the green.

I suppose the most interesting thing I have learnt is that my mental approach needs to change as does my course management. I've read a lot of Rotella but am not fully applying it yet. If I had bogied the other 9 holes on Tuesday I would have carded 89. So what's changing?

Conservative relaxed approach on stroke index 1-5
Bogey is a good result on those holes so that's my target
Working on my long irons is as important as my wood play

The weekly long game practice started today but I noticed I got tired hitting 60 balls with a full pre shot routine. Starting next week I'll be hitting 40 balls (ten for each club, wood & 3-5 iron). I'll then score and record each club from 1-10 depending on how many balls hit my imaginary fairway.

This game is tough, unforgiving, frustrating, challenging and yet unbelievably fun at the same time. My first medal is in two weeks time, I just hope Sunday's dress rehearsal goes well.

Comments:

Simon Hutton
good stuff Tiger I’ll soon by braving my first full 18 holes and will probably aim to get each one in 6 (regardless of difficulty/par etc.) which should get me round in about 108. That Rotella book sounds good, might have to get a copy! What’s it called?

Tiger
Try playing ‘plus one’ where you add one shot to the par of each hole. I tried playing level 5’s and found it only really worked for me on par 4’s. It pushes you as a novice golfer a little harder but you could always give yourself two extra shots on the par 5’s. Have fun when you play. If I learnt one thing it was swing easy and focus on the positives of each hole.

Oh and savour the experience you don’t get it back again! Bob Rotella book is Your 15th Club and I’d highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment