Friday 28 January 2011

Volvo Golf Champions

Having had little interest in professional golf before I took up the sport, I am now an avid follower. Either I have been missing out considerably on entertainment for the previous 30 years or I have got my timing absolutely spot on. It seems as though a tournament cannot go by without a series of headlines. Poulter certainly made his feelings known regarding the greens on the Colin Montgomerie designed course in Bahrain. I guess now Monty's no longer Ryder Cup Captain the shackles are off.

"Schoolboy error playing. Apparently the architect wanted to make a statement with the greens. He did that all right. Simply the worst greens I have ever seen and I'm not joking. They are embarrassing." Don't get splinters on that fence Poults.

The greens got to Jimenez as well today, who'll incur the ire of the Tour blazers after breaking his putter by hurling it at his bag. That said he'll probably put an extra wedge in his bag and do without a putter after his three consecutive birdies with a bellied lob wedge!

Despite the cigar chomping Spaniard's mixed fortunes he still sits atop the leaderboard as we enter the weekend. Importantly for me all of the golfers in my fantasy Race to Dubai team that were playing made the cut, with both Molinari and Jimenez at the top of the tree. That will make the weekend interesting but not as much as the prospect of amateurs joining the tour professionals in competitive play over the weekend. A tour first and a sign of the creativity in competition design of both the European tour and trailblazing sponsors Volvo. It will be interesting to see how the pros and amateurs react...

No comments:

Post a Comment