Saturday 22 January 2011

Strike while my irons are hot!

I cannot remember the last time I played a standard strokeplay round on full greens. It didn't happen today either as we had our rescheduled Christmas Texas Scramble. Played using my new mental approach, where I essentially accept the fact that I am going to hit duff shots before I set off. Strange you may say but it worked a treat. Admittedly the Texas Scramble format helped but I shrugged off any poor strikes today. Even more surprising was that my hybrid was misbehaving but I was hitting my long irons really well both on the tee and fairway. A timely confidence boost.

We had 10.4 shots today and failed to capitalise on two birdie opportunities on the front nine. That said Ian drained an absolute beauty from the fringe on the second for a scrambled 6. We finished the front nine +5 but just couldn't get it going on the back nine and limped in +10 for a gross 86, net 75.6.

Still need to spend some time working on my short game. Tee is solidly booked on Saturday so my plan is to get there early, practice my short game, have a lesson and then play nine holes from 10.30. All of my best shots today came with an iron in hand and I'll be looking to build on that solid foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment