Monday 3 January 2011

Positive progress

Didn't beat my PB and didn't break 100 today but am pleased with my 103. What let me down massively was my short game and putting. Hit 3 GIR today and three putted all of them. Landed around the green regulation a further eleven times and chipped poorly. Hands got a little cold and I got a little snatchy from the 13th tee and hit some poor tee shots as a result. But all in all my ball striking is definitely getting better. Belted two 3 Wood drives 262 and 245 yards today, which was immensely satisfying with the first shot enabling me to hit the green on our longest hole (585 yards) in regulation.

Things went a little whiffy on the back nine summed up by the most bizarre thing that has ever happened to me. Hit what I though was a good tee shot on 17th and the ball just didn't go anywhere. Must have topped it I thought. Had another go with the hybrid and another dribble but at least I had crept past the 150 yard marker. Took out my 8 iron, sized up the shot, felt loose, felt confident and absolutely nailed it. Right out of the sweet spot but all I could see was what looked like a divot travelling 50 yards. Well if my divot has gone that far the ball must have gone miles. Couldn't see it on the green, must have cleared it. Bugger me that was some hit. Called over to my playing partner if he had seen it land and he was wetting himself laughing. 'What's so funny?' I thought. That is the sweetest strike you will ever see my friend. Walked over to the divot and there lying forlornly on the turf was my ball, almost split in two. Harsh, very harsh.

Left me wondering though. If it had broken in two where would I have needed to play my next shot from? Mmmmm.

All in all an enjoyable knock and I was surprised to have only taken 35 putts. There should have been far fewer, where chips weren't close enough and first putts were left way too short. With a bit of time, love and devotion spent honing my short game I could be onto a winner. Medal on Saturday off the big boys tees. That will be the real litmus test.

103 (71)
5(3), 6(5), 4(3), 7(4), 6(5), 4(3), 6(5), 5(4), 6(4), 5(4), 6(3), 6(5), 8(4), 6(4), 5(4), 7(4), 6(4), 5(3)

No comments:

Post a Comment