Monday 31 January 2011

Driver Day

Having toyed with the idea of buying a Taylormade R9, and tried one, I must confess I have been lured into the Titleist camp once more. Put simply I am enamoured with a high end piece of golfing apparatus: the 910 series driver. What I learnt today more than anything is the importance of shaft selection in your clubs. Today I didn't have the best choice in the D2 910 when I took it onto the course for a 9 hole spin. My drives were ballooning and costing me a massive amount of distance. That said my accuracy was pretty good: 71% FIR. My approaches weren't bad either: 44% GIR.

Over 9 holes today I scored 45 (par 37) and but for some sloppy putting on two par 3s, when I was itching to hit the big dog, it could have been better. The slight caveat is that stretch contains the majority of the easiest holes on the course, but nonetheless +8 through 9 is very encouraging. My scoring went triple, bogey, bogey, par, double, par, bogey, par, par.

Saturday will bring a sterner test off the whites with tough pin positions, so I'm not getting carried away. What does make me excited is that my chipping and wedge play is vastly improved. So much so that a lob wedge may become the final weapon in my arsenal in the late spring / summer.

Most definitely feeling more excited about my golf, just hope I can do it when it matters in Saturday's medal!

No comments:

Post a Comment