Wednesday 19 January 2011

Tipping point

"Cool is a pursuit of youth". Eddie Izzard is bang on the money with that one. One of my favourite sketches is where Izzard talks abouot the circular nature of the pursuit of cool and how there is a fine balance between looking uber cool and looking like a dickhead. Izzard confesses to cruising that backwater in life, and I certainly have flitted between the two on the course.

It's my wedges you see. Too tense, swinging too hard, hint of desperation, guaranteed messed up shot. Fat, thin, hideous slice you name it, it's likely. So I try and relax, think only of my target, sink into my stance like an old pair of slippers, swing smooth and easy. It's looking good, the ball flight is great, distance spot on, I'm looking cool. Oh no I've relaxed to much and though there might not be a brown stain seeping through my white strides there is a large brown clump that has just flown further through the air than my ball. Bugger.

Wedge practice today and spent the whole session flitting backwards and forwards from hitting great shots and getting it hideously wrong. Finished on a high but it was just another reminder of the fine line between success and failure in the world of golf.

For those unfamiliar with the Izzard sketch I am referring to, here it is for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment