Thursday 21 October 2010

The Great Stableford Experiment

...or to give it's full and accurate title "the not particularly great or scientifically robust, but hopefully entertaining and possibly enlightening, conservative strategy vs reckless bravado, stableford scoring golf experiment"!

Following a recent thread on stableford scoring on the Golf Monthly Forum, I have decided to offer up my weekend round to the conduct of an important golf experiment. Can a high handicapper significantly improve their scores in stableford by adopting a more cautious approach?

Methodology
Every experiment needs a method, this is mine. There are some shots I would play anyway. The aim of this experiment is to identify the impact of those moments when you may choose against laying up and going for the green for example. As a result it is only in those moments when I am genuinely tempted to 'go for it' that the 2nd ball comes into play.

I will note my stableford score for each ball when I make those choices. In situations when I play a second ball I will always play the sensible shot first. This will ensure that the experiment is based on rationale shot choice as opposed to retrospective regret.

Where I do not have a clear line of sight I am required to play a sensible shot back into play.

Results will be published here and on the blog. May the best ball win!

No comments:

Post a Comment