Wednesday 17 March 2010

Virtual insanity

Cue diminutive, big hat wearing funky dancing 90's vocalist and his invisible jazz funk fusion band OR a golf simulator in central London. My poor city bound brother gets his winter golfing fix indoors, under bizarre lighting, whacking balls at giant sheet with a projected image of world famous courses. Today we met up for a drink and a two hour game on the simulator.

The course of choice was the Belfry and for the most part my game utterly abandoned me. It just felt wrong, and though it was fun, playing golf in jeans and Fly shoes is not the same. I have no doubt that the machine is accurate and the nearest the pin contest we finished with confirmed this. However, I just couldn't sort out my ball striking and as for the chipping and putting, feel just went out the window.

I just think that not being anchored with my DryJoys and reacting to a two dimensional image (with my blinking shadow on it) wasn't conducive to producing my best golf. That said it was an enjoyable couple of hours and reminded me how lucky I am to live where I do, with lunch breaks on the Heath and the club down the road.

I got smashed by my bro on the main course, but then again I don't think the Belfry was designed to be played with a 6I, GW and putter. I got my revenge on closest to the pin winning from both 183 and 76 yards. Fun? Yes, and I won't be having sleepless nights about my poor performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment