Friday 26 March 2010

Love hate relationship

My Vokey Gap Wedge and I have had an interesting relationship till now. At first we did not get on at all and I often wondered why I had paid good money for the blinking thing. Duffs, thins, slices you name it anything but nice straight ball flight. I had a few more lessons, worked hard on my game and things are improving. During my lunch time practice session on the heath today I saw Reg (Waldringfield Club Captain) once again, who I've now adopted as my mentor and surrogate father.

He made three subtle suggestions:

  1. Don't sit down quite so much in my set up (causing fats)

  2. Maintain more width on my back swing (causing fats)

  3. Use my left shoulder as a trigger of when to start my down swing (improved tempo)


All of them worked and got me hitting lovely clean wedge shots, with a sweet selection of divots. I really do feel that things are starting to come together and my love affair with the gap wedge is much less tumultuous.

Now if it would only behave itself on my chip shots we could well settle down in the near future and start a family...

No comments:

Post a Comment