Tuesday 30 March 2010

Dedication & Inspiration

Today's blog post is designed to serve two purposes. Firstly, it will explain to you my commitment to development over the coming season, secondly it will make a personal dedication to a man I've never met but can relate to, respect, deeply admire and is the main inspiring factor in my quest to reach scratch.

So to the plan, well I know I need to be dedicated if I'm going to make a respectable attempt at the challenge, let alone pull it off. I've broken my game down a la Pelz into the following components:
    Mental
    Management
    Swing
    Short Game
    Putting


Each team has a mentor/coach (though one position still to be finalised) and I'll be setting myself a realistic practice programme and targets for season 2010/11. Detail on each plan will follow in early April.

My inspiration
In August 2008, my world came crashing down around me. I lost sensation in both legs and a few days later in September I lost sensation in my body from the neck down. I could still move my limbs but with out clear sensory reception I was unable to perform simple tasks like walking very far, dressing myself or making myself food. A month later I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. At the same time a friend put a Daily Mail article in the post about a golfer called Tony Johnstone. Tony Johnstone
Many of you will have heard of Tony Johnstone what you may not know was that his professional career was threatened when he was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. Not only did he come back, he has since won a tournament! I'll be honest - I had no idea who he was but I could empathise with his condition. We were both passionate about sport (albeit he had significantly more talent than me) and we both had the thing we loved, and in Tony's case earnt a living from, being taken away. I've kept that article and often re read it when I feel low or need an injection of inspiration.

I was fortunate to make it on to the same clinical trial as Tony (in fact we share the same excellent clinical team at Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge). The treatment has made a massive difference to my life. So each step I take on my road to recovery and towards the zenith of scratch Tony is never far from my thoughts. I owe him a huge debt of gratitude for giving me belief when I could have feared and direction when I could have lost my way.

As a result this project will always be more than a numbers game and I pray it gives hope to other MS sufferers who may be reading. While I may fantasise of rounds at Augusta with Niklaus, Ballesteros, Hogan and co in reality I'd most like to play 18 holes in the company Mr Johnstone at the end of a successful quest, that for me would be the perfect conclusion.

Comments:

Simon Hutton
great post Tiger. Good to have the inspiration!

Homer
Interesting post as many on here are. I’m glad the treatment is going well. You should think about trying to get in touch and relaying your story to him. It might help him to know that fellow golfers are using him as an inspiration and who knows you may even get to meet the great man.

I hope your season kicks on now you’re in a club and can play regularly in competitions with better golfers and have access to practice facilities etc. Make friends with the pro. If he’s anything like mine he’ll always give you a 30 second tip if you’re struggling. Keep going

No comments:

Post a Comment