Tuesday 23 March 2010

Ball of Choice 2010

So there I am yesterday, stood on the second tee, getting ready to play my fifth shot. I'd already placed a Srixon Z-Star, a Titleist ProV1 lake ball and a Titleist ProV1 refurb on the sacrificial altar of the golfing gods (notice the steady decline on ball quality). My Sasquatch bag has a nifty ball holder and as I drained it of its last offering (another refurb) I was determined to keep this one in play.

Cue a hook to the trees on the left of the fairway and after two duffed attempts to get the ball in play on the shorter stuff, I caught it clean and bladed it out of bounds to the right. I had progressed about 150 yards on a 500 yard par 5 and used nine shots.

I rummaged in the spare ball pocket, a collection of lake balls and refurbs, but happened to pull out a Titleist NXT Tour that I'd found when I played Hintlesham. Three shots later I stood on the green with a putt for thirteen. Missed that and the one coming back by a centimetre or two.

As you'll note from my last post I then went on an amazing run of holes hitting +8 on the next nine played. Before losing the NXT I'd hit two pars and a great bogey on the long par 5 fifth. My performance with that ball, albeit brief, gave me a much needed confidence boost. I steadied my swing and the ProV1 lake ball (the last one I have) was used to great effect on the next four holes, scoring at just +2.

Then I got tired my swing got sloppy and the sidespin was being grossly exaggerated as I zig zagged down a few too many holes. I just don't have the consistency of ball striking to get the most out of a premium ball on my long game. So my mind is made up. For now it’s the NXT Tour although I hope to resolve my swing issues and return to a premium ball as soon as I can. That point will reflect a positive milestone on my golfing journey.

Comments:

Homer
It’s a sound choice although I prefer the AD333 as I think it spins a little better around the green than the NXT. I think that until the greens really dry out (May-September based on a half decent summer) your choice of ball will be fine. However you’ll find that the firmer balls will fly “hot” even with a good chip on the firmer surfaces and so you might want to look at some Pro V refurbs. Hopefully by then your swing will have moved on and so there will be less sidespin and you’ll get the full benefit.

Tiger
Hey Homer, I think it’s a case of compromise and at the moment I’ll take longer, straighter ball flight at the expense of shot stopping capability. If I keep the ball in play off the tee I can usually put myself in a position to score par or bogey and for this year that’s the aim. The way I see it a round of bogeys gets me playing to my handicap target for this year. If the nine holes I hit the other day is anything to go by that’s within my capabilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment