Thursday 21 January 2010

V-Easy: Equipment review

You will have gathered from earlier posts that I have shunned all that is long about the game of golf. So it will come as no surprise that most of my purchases have been books, training aids and clubs for my short game. Kicking us off is the V-Easy invented by PGA professional Bob McArthur. This three-in-one training aid should have a place in everyone's bag, read on to find out why.

Simple to look at the V-Easy is kept closed by two magnets in the legs. This attention to detail runs throughout the product that also contains a rubberised hinge to grip your club shaft.

My teaching pro spent several hundred pounds on a different, and distinctly massive, device that you and club are fitted into. Once 'locked' inside the device restricts wrist movement and promotes rocking of the shoulders when putting. The result a smoother, repeatable putting stroke.

By comparison, the two legs of the V-Easy open out and slot under the arms, while the club rests on the hinge. The result? A smoother, repeatable putting stroke. When I showed my pro he almost cried. At only a fraction of the price this is a lightweight, portable and extremely effective training aid that you can use at home or on the putting green.

But it gets better. You can also use a lofted club to help you work on those delicate chips from the fringe. I found this really useful in helping me learn the backswing distances required for use of my 8 iron. The V-Easy ensured I had sound technique so all I needed to focus on was learning the length of back and through swings for a variety of distances.

But wait there's more. Open the legs and place it on the floor and position a ball at the tip. Use the two sight dots near the hinge to align your shot, the coloured stripes on the legs to align your feet and you can resolve any alignment issues you may have. My two regular playing partners are chomping at the bit for a quiet day on the par 3 course to give it a go. I did have some problems using the alignment function, mainly owing to my gargantuan, oversized, clumsy, yeti feet that kept kicking the blinking thing out of position.

This shouldn't distract from what is a great product that sits happily in my bag waiting diligently for putting and chipping practice. It also doubles up by holding my towel rather than looping it over my 3 iron.

To find out more or to buy the V-Easy go to:

www.v-easy.co.uk

Rating: 87%

Comments:

Bob
Hi Tiger. Thanks for the write-up of my V-Easy, I’m glad you like it. I hope it helps you with your project to get down to scratch.
All the best, Bob McArthur

No comments:

Post a Comment