Monday 18 January 2010

New game plan

Went over to the heath today to continue my short game practice. Dave Pelz is a genius and I'm already seeing an improvement in my play. More on Pelz in my Tuesday book review but in terms of my short game I've learnt a lot about the three wedges in my bag.

Pitching Wedge (AP1) Because this wedge came with my iron set, it's extremely forgiving and I strike it really well on half shots. My dispersion is improving and I just need to find out my exact distances on half shots and this will most definitely be my club of choice on longer pitches. However, loft is too strong for me to use it accurately on shorter shots.

Gap Wedge (Vokey) Undoutably my best wedge from close range. I'm still working on my feel and am often long on short pitches/chips (under 50 yards). However, I'll be back over the heath tomorrow and with practice this will be my go to club when I've just missed the green

Sand Wedge (Vokey) The club that needs the most practice. Admittedly, the quite tight lie that the heath provides brings the bounce into play in a negative way but generally I thin more shots than I hit well with this club. Definitely a work in progress

And so my new game plan. Having read the first 8 chapters of Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible, reflected on my own game, started reading 'Dream On' and followed numerous threads on Golf Monthly Forum I'm going to do what everyone says is the right approach to mastering golf - I'm going to focus almost exclusively on my short game.

  1. Full swing will be developed by my lesson every three weeks, weekly range practice and twice weekly practice without a ball in the garden

  2. 6 hours a week will be dedicated to short approaches and half shots

  3. 2 hours a week on the putting pat with the v-easy keeping the shoulders rocking


To avoid temptation I have a new item to save for. It's not a push trolley, it's not a hybrid and it's definitely not a driver. In fact there'll be no new clubs purchased for the foreseeable future. The new gadget I'm saving for? A laser range finder to help me accurately establish distances of my wedges, improve the quality of my practice and help me work on my course management.

Opinions, as always, welcomed and valued.

No comments:

Post a Comment