Monday 11 January 2010

Great in theory

I played a reasonable amount of chess when I was at school. I was pretty good and got in the team. Problem was chess isn't that glamorous but as most matches didn't conflict with my 'real' sporting pursuits I never really got teased about it. Then aged 12 everything changed. A local school, Holmwood House, held an annual competition featuring six-a-side football, squash, basketball and er chess. I was in the junior school fooball 1st XI at the time and was looking forward to playing in the tournament when my house master and Geography teacher dropped a bombshell. As the third best player in the junior school I'd been selected to play in the chess team. You see there are loads of people who can kick a football about, but not many who played chess, so despite my remonstrations I sat indoors (in full view of the footy tournament) and played chess. Unsurprisingly, I lost and fell out of love with chess big time.

For me there is a similarity in golf. A lot of people who love beating balls with the big stick, but not as many who want to understand the theoretical side of the game.



You are probably wondering why I am telling you all this, well from my brief flirtation with golf I've realised that it neatly combines the skill of a sport with the strategy of chess. In my opinion you need to think your way round the course, play the percentages, develop a strategy and hone your course management skills.

When I first started playing, the sportsman in me wanted to hit the ball a long way with some nice shiny sticks. The ball, miscreant that it is, decided to shoot off right, then left and now enjoys skimming the grass. My principle focus till now has been on correcting this but the snow has provided a rather timely interval for me to be a little more circumspect. As a direct result of this I have expanded my golf library to help me create the perfect mindset and develop a theoretical understanding of the sport whilst the elements are denying me the joy of playing.

My library now includes:

The Encyclopedia of Golf, Chris Meadows
Golf is not a Game of Perfect, Bob Rotella
Golf is a Game of Confidence, Bob Rotella (borrowed from my very understanding brother)
Putting out of your Mind, Bob Rotella
Little Red Book of Golf, Harvey Penick
Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible, Dave Pelz
Dream On..., John Richardson

Tuesday will become book review day, so as I wade my way through these treasures I'll post reviews periodically. I'll start with the Encyclopedia tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment