Friday 15 January 2010

Green, green grass of hope!

Never in my whole life have I been so happy to see rain. The drizzly showers over the past few days have helped to clear the range and though the courses are still saturated down here, just getting out to hit a few balls is great. What is even better is that my two latest modifications are working well.

1. Back swing
At my last lesson I was told to shorten my backswing and work to prevent overhinging. Seems to have bedded in quite well. 7 iron was rock solid today meaning I am now confident with the 7 iron down. Hit 20 minutes worth with the 4 iron. I'll admit that dispersion wasn't great, lost a couple right a fair few left (grip issue). But I have never pured so many with a long iron before. Finished with a belter off the tee that carried 200 yards. There is hope...

2. Short game
Well I am currently reading Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible. It arrived on Wednesday, I've waded through 160 pages so far and must say it has been a revelation. My pitching & chipping to put it mildly is a bag of pants. Having read Mr Pelz's advice I adjusted my set up, modified my grip, altered my swing and hey presto bye bye thinned shots, hello delicate pitches. Alignment is still an issue but now I want a laser range finder to help me hone my practice on the range and the heath.

There will be a review on Mr Pelz's cracking book on Tuesday (which as we all know is book/equipment review day)! I hope you all make it to the range/the course this weekend and have as positive an experience as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment