Tuesday 26 January 2010

Dream On: Book review

Dream On: One Hacker's Challenge to Break Par in a Year, John Richardson 
(Blackstaff Press, 2009)

I'm a big fan of drunken, challenge books. For years my favourite book was 'Round Ireland with a Fridge' by Tony Hawks. The sheer lunacy of the challenge, his humour and the Irish charm won a place in my heart forever. In fact I should really dig that out and read it again. Based on this 'Dream On, seemed to be perfect. This book had the potential to provide me with a blueprint for my own challenge as well as the promise of being a thoroughly entertaining read. However, this posed problems as I was unable to divorce wanting to learn some secrets of how I could lop several shots off my score from just enjoying John's story. In retrospect I've decided that the consequent level of expectation placed on this book was unfair and as a result I' ve split this review in two halves: fun and fact.

Let's kick off with the fun. John is a little bit barking and 100% honest. The honesty really struck a chord with me, especially as his imaginary golfing companion Seve referred to him quite frequently as "a dick". For a large part of the book John does make some catastrophically bad decisions principally his love affair with his driver and his failure to practice his putting or take advantage of free golf lessons from the resident professional. There were times I felt like screaming out loud, but fortunately Seve would normally appear and simply state "Meester Richardson, you are a dick". At which point could relax, allow the throbbing vein in my forehead to stop pumping so violently and return to the journey.

You see in my eyes, possibly more than most, I needed John to succeed and as he constantly derailed his efforts I became increasingly exasperated. It is a fantastic story and there are a number of moments I think almost all golfers can relate to, though I doubt my relationship would ever survive a sledgehammer in the living room. It is also fitting that the heroine of the book isn't Debbie the golf pro at John's course, but his long suffering wife Lesley and his daughter Aimee (who has some choice words to say about two thirds through the book).

Moving onto the fact and I have to be honest here, this book does not have any massive revelations in terms of how to lop shots off your score. What it does very well is accurately reflect the demons that battle all golfers who neglect their short game in pursuit of the perfect drive. I've deliberately protected myself from this by refusing to have any woods in my bag in year one of the challenge, but having read some of Bogey's posts and regular visits to my driving range, I know that this is a malaise that affects amateur golfers everywhere. John's other problem was his desperation to try anything to find a miracle cure from watching countless old videotapes, to swinging a sledgehammer in the living room. Often this left to a conflicting myriad of distractions when really he should have spent more time with Debbie, his golf pro. He readily acknowledges this throughout the book and though it didn't have any laugh out loud moments, his reflections did crack more than the odd smile.

I did feel however that John bended the rules of the challenge somewhat, with unlimited range balls and golf lessons. This in addition to the fact that he had played before and achieved a handicap of 15 meant that he wasn't really starting from 'scratch'. However, that aside the task remained enormous and the gusto he displayed in pursuing it when all round people were doubting him is a credit to his character.

John has now created the break par blueprint, for anyone seeking help in improving their game. I'm following my own game plan for the time being, but when things get desperate (as they inevitably will) I may well be registering...or perhaps I'll just buy a sledgehammer!

My rating 80%

To buy the book click on the image below:



ISBN 9780856408410

Comments:

John Richardson
Hey my friend. Thanks for this. If you contact me on the email address I’ll give you whatever help I can. Cheers (and best of luck!) John

Tiger
Thanks John, I may well come calling when the season gets underway in Spring. Good luck with your blueprint project. T

No comments:

Post a Comment