Monday 6 December 2010

Stunned in so many ways...

What a crazy 24 hours. The snow has cleared only to be replaced by freezing fog, the ashes is hotting up and the world of golf has seemingly gone crazy. First things first I am mighty frustrated by the weather. I've not hit a ball in anger for far too long and I'm desperate to get back out on the course. I am entered in the Winter League with my playing partner Ian and it looks as though the course will be open for business on Saturday, albeit with sub zero temperatures. I'm hoping to get down the range on Thursday night to loosen up the limbs and rebuild my relationship with my sticks. I have also took some time to revisit my set up. I have a sneaking suspicion that a significant amount of my problem stems from inconsistency in my set-up, most notably my grip. Useful article in Today's Golfer this month on set up and I've been checking each element of my pre shot routine.

Thank goodness there has been some cracking sport on to stop me from going stir crazy. Kevin Pietersen has had a fair amount of stick recently but he really turned on the style in the Second Test. After a monumental 227 in England's mammoth 620/5 dec he then took the prize wicket of Michael Clarke for 80 with the last ball of play on day four. It leaves the Aussies 167 behind with just six second innings wickets remaining. I was a mere nipper the last time we beat the convicts on their own patch and am absolutely loving our new found superiority. Here's hoping the boys can finish the job off tomorrow.

Lee Westwood has been a pretty jovial chap on Twitter that was until the PGA Tour announced Ricky Fowler as Rookie of the Year. The ensuing rant was pretty much bang on the money and has drawn support from across the tweeting golf community.

"Sorry 140 letters is not going to be enough for this rant! Just seen Ricky Fowler has been given rookie of the year! Yes he's had a good year but rory mcilroy 3rd in 2 majors and an absolute demolition of the field at quail hollow! Oh yes and on the winning Ryder cup team! Please! Is this yet another case of protectionism by the pga tour or are they so desperate to win something! Wouldn't have something to do with Rory not joining the tour next year? Maybe the PGA tour just employs the same voting process as FIFA! Come on , fairs fair!"

This all occurred after the unbelievable sight of Tiger Woods crumbling in the Chevron Challenge event. Leading by four shots going into the final day I thought he was a shoe in. But it seems as though the aura of invincibility has well and truly disappeared. Under immense pressure from the scorching hot Graeme McDowell, Tiger was seemingly caught off guard by G-Mac's scintillating start.

Hats off to you Mr McDowell, I have a feeling you will have another shiny trophy for your cabinet when the Sports Personality of the Year Award is announced later this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment