Thursday 30 December 2010

Kasco Winter Fit Gloves: Equipment review

Kasco Winter Fit Gloves with Heat Tex

I don't normally buy into marketing bumpf. The packaging of this glove claims that it will keep your hands two degrees warmer than a normal winter glove. I'd love to have seen that test with some poor bloke in a lab coat chasing after golfers with a thermometer...

...ok maybe they used thermal imaging but still it begged the question that if it actually did keep your hands two degrees warmer what difference would that make?

For me the difference would have to be notable with the Kasco gloves significantly more expensive than rival products such as the Footjoy WinterSof. So I opted against buying a pair online and ventured down to my golf club. Bugger me it was cold, so cold in fact that the course was frozen and shut. I opted to hit the range and decided to ask my pro about winter gloves. He couldn't rate the Kasco's highly enough. The good thing about our club pro is he knows if he throws me a googly I won't buy off him anymore.  I nearly always give him the chance to compete against internet prices and as a result he gives me honest opinion.

So I did the only sensible thing I put a Footjoy on one hand a Kasco on the other and went outside for five minutes. Not the most scientific of tests but the Kascos did feel warmer especially following a little hand rubbing. So I bought a pair.

Now I can't fault the performance. They are not a miracle glove: keeping your hand bathed in warmth in sub zero temperatures. But they do have a good grip, provide great protection against the elements and are very thin. The problem at the moment lies with me getting use to having two gloves on, especially for short shots and putting. Without the gloves my hands would be stinging cold and numb, with them I get more feel but it is a little alien. I think that over time I'll become more comfortable wearing them but at the moment it is just another distraction. That said I'd rather be out playing than in the clubhouse nursing frostbite.

Rating

For those who are used to wearing two gloves 86%

For me who is not: 77%

No comments:

Post a Comment