Thursday 9 December 2010

'Fore'somes?

One of the beautiful things about golf is battle between you, the course and the elements. You have complete control of shaping your success or failure. Having been a team player for so long there have been occasions when my frustrations have boiled overh either myself or team mates from time to time. There was the time I compiled a composed fifty on a torrid pitch but we lost the match as everyone else lost their heads or the time I scored a hat trick only to trudge off the park on the wrong end of a 5-4 score line. On the flip side there was the time I the ball got stuck in my hockey goalkeeping pads and I spun round to inadvertently score an 'own goal' (we lost 3-2) or the times I fumbled the ball on the overlap when I would have been clean through for a try.

But despite those mishaps and mistakes I have always enjoyed the fraternity of team sport, which is why I am both nervous and excited about this weekend. I've played with Ian before in a Texas Scramble but entering the Winter League together is a totally different concept. He is playing some pretty good golf at the moment and has had great finishes in recent competitions and I desperately want to make sure I don't let him down. Obviously, an added dimension is that the winter freeze has prevented me from playing and practicing much, and the course is likely to be difficult to play.

I'll be heading to the course early to make sure I'm properly warmed up and following the advice of the guys on the Golf Monthly Forum here. Ian's great at putting me at ease and having seen the snowfall across the rest of the country I'm just grateful that I'll be able to play this weekend. Here's hoping we can get off to a good start and I don't repeatedly shout 'fore!' while using Ian's ball!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment