Monday 20 December 2010

Sports Personality of the Year?

And so the debate rages on... Ian Poulter properly lost it on Twitter, Colin Montgomerie is now apparently a golf coach and golfer's across the UK scratch their heads as to how Graeme McDowell finished fifth. For my twopenneth I always feared a split of the golf vote, though some rather admirably voted for both Westwood and G-Mac.

Questions have been raised about whether the award is actually recognising lifetime accomplishment rather than a 12 month snapshot. The latter would almost certainly suggest a three horse race between McDowell, Cavendish and Williams. The first brit for 40 years to win the US Open, not to mention the Ryder Cup heroics. A phenomenal five stage wins on the Tour de France after a serious crash just weeks before the race got underway. A Winter Olympic gold medal for a British athlete that trains on a concrete track. All worthy winners in my eye with McDowell getting the nod from me because of my golfing allegiance.

I'm not saying that The Power and AP are not supremely talented. Nor am I saying that they haven't achieved amazing success. But to be honest they haven't achieved much this year. I'd argue that both are worthy candidates for the lifetime achievement award, so long as they promise not to weep uncontrollably. On reflection perhaps that is the reason behind Mr Beckham's hirsute appearance: an attempt to mask his underlying femininity, sarong anyone?

I am sure the blokes down the betting shop will be happy as larry with the result. A champion jockey, the lord of the darts and a nice bit of totty, they will be suitably made up. For me the jury is still out on whether darts is actually a sport: though some may argue the same about golf. Westood will probably win a major or two this year and be back in the running in 2011, for Graeme McDowell this could have been his one and only shot at the title. The bookies favourite may have romped home but I'm left calling for a stewards inquiry.

No comments:

Post a Comment