Tuesday 1 December 2009

Titleist AP1 irons: Equipment review


I'm new to golf and some may wonder why I have purchased these irons after four months playing. Well, I had a custom fitting with the old AP1s and they went a country mile, the new ones go even further. There are however a few caveats to this review:

1. I am new to the game and my swing is evolving
2. I have yet to take these out onto a full 18 hole course yet (that's happening later this month)
3. Mine are custom fitted
4. I have a limited frame of reference being new to the game

That said, these are beautiful set of irons. I prefer the revised look that Titleist have given this model and they seem to be more forgiving than the previous model (although this maybe that my swing has improved in that time. Distances are all relative but I can stripe the 6 iron with these between 180 - 190 yards and they have a lovely penetrating flight. I've not managed to use the long irons outside the range yet but have got good distance and control on the range.

I'd definitely recommend a custom fitting as I didn't get on at all with the stock shafts (flight was far too high for me). In my set up I've got jumbo grips, an extra inch on my project X 5.5 shafts and a 4 degree upright lie. I now feel much more comfortable at address and as my swing refines over the next two months I am looking forward to adding tighter dispersion and a bit more distance.

Finally aesthetics - they look lovely for a cavity back iron and the smaller heads on the shorter irons makes them a much more attractive proposition than some of the game improvement shovels on the market.

The only con is that the faces do mark very easily. I keep mine in iron headcovers to protect them in transit and during play but the faces are already starting to take a bit of a battering. Doesn't affect playability yet but m,ay upset some who want their irons to look beautiful for as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment